Early Holywood Bets on Rory Paying Off
Rory McIlroy was turning heads around his Holywood Golf Club when he was just a wee lad. As he ventured out from the small town in Northern Ireland to make his mark on the golf world, more than a few of his fellow Ulsterman thought Rors was worth a wager.
Winning the United States Open on Sunday secured one punter (British slang for someone who makes a risky bet; see you learned something from reading this) £25,000 which equates to $40,455.
The bettor, a member of Holywood Golf Club, Rory’s home club, bet £50 when McIlroy was 15 years old that he would win a major championship by the time he was 25 years old. At 500/1 odds, it seems like a decent enough wager to make, especially if the 22-year-old lived up to the expectations those around his club had set up for him.
The unnamed member made his small fortune with the US Open win, however the Belfast Telegraph reported he would have collected on any major win.
As for Gerry McIlroy, Rory’s father, he felt more comfortable wagering on his son’s ability to win on a course in the United Kingdom at the British Open.
Getting the same odds at 500/1, the man who worked three jobs during Rory’s youth in order to pay for his son’s emerging career, put up £100 along with three other friends betting that young Rory would win a British Open by the time he reached age 25.
It makes you wonder why Gerry wouldn’t take the bet if he could receive the same odds for his son to win in major championship and not only the British. However, the fact that Rory is being dubbed the next big thing, sponsorship dollars have been flooding in for quite some time now, so the £100 is chump change to Mr. McIlroy.
Any way, I’m sure he could find something to do with the nearly $81,000 (£50,000).
The fact that these guys were willing to put their hard-earned cash up seven years ago on a Wee-Mac says something about the promise Rory showed from such a young age.
- Valero Texas Open Fantasy Picks
- Rory at a Fork in the Road: Will Ego or Task Define Him?
- Shell Houston Open Fantasy Picks
- Rory McIlroy’s Charm Leaps and Bounds Ahead of His Game
- Panic Meter Rises as McIlroy Questionably Withdraws From Honda
- Honda Classic Fantasy Picks
- 1-2 Punch Staggers Match Play, Doesn’t Knock It Out
- $5m Doesn’t Even Get Abu Dhabi a Weekend Out of Tiger and Rory
- What Rory to Nike Tells Us About What We Already Know
- Who Was the Most Efficient Player on the PGA Tour in 2012